Saturday, February 9, 2013

DVDs, Menus, and DVD Menus


Today, I shall be looking at the original Homestar DVDs. No, not the ones actually sold on the website’s store, but rather, the old toons that got remade with spiffy little DVD menus and extra features. The first one is simply called The King of Town, which was the second toon released on the website. We still haven’t looked at the first one, Marshmallow’s Last Stand, even though that one is probably more entertaining than this one could hope to be… but I digress. 

The DVD version of this cartoon includes the original version that was first put up on the website, a revamped and somewhat improved version of it, the original storyboards, and a commentary track featuring Strong Bad. My suggestion for you, my gentle viewers, is to watch the new version and then the commentary. You’re not really missing out on anything by skipping over the old version other than some painfully ancient-looking animation and an even less humorous story. So let’s get on with it already. 


Pom Pom, let's get out of here.
http://www.homestarrunner.com/kingmenu.html
Hopefully everyone managed to stay awake through the original version. It’s pretty terrible, yes, but at least it’s self-aware. The commentary track really saves this cartoon from being utter crap, and without it, I’d have to say it’s the worst cartoon on the website. It’s really old, and the Brothers Chaps were still new at this, so I can forgive it, but … heeg. Probably the only other interesting thing I could say about this is the fact that Strong Bad’s commentary is horribly outdated and incorrect. The King of Town does in fact live in that castle, and the remark about Strong Bad not having his own cartoon yet is downright laughable. I believe the DVD version of this cartoon was released in 2001, so Strong Bad Email still wasn’t a thing yet, but hey, there was still Strong Bad Sings. I think that counts.

It would probably not be wise to linger on that particular cartoon for too long, so let’s just move right along to the other old toon that got the DVD treatment – the far superior In Search of the Yello Dello. As with the other one, I suggest watching the new version, followed by the commentary. But this one actually does have a couple other things worth looking at, so get ready to hear that menu music a lot. Since this isn’t a bad cartoon, I won’t put in any sort of “warning” on this one. Just go ahead and watch it, and then come back for useless feedback from me.


I think I has the solution!
http://www.homestarrunner.com/yellodellomenu.html
Oh man. I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m watching this after The King of Town, but this cartoon is awesome. It’s kind of difficult to describe and praise comedy, especially in text format, but I have to at least point out some things that I enjoyed about it. List time!

  •  The art style is so stupid that it’s actually amazing. Apparently it was drawn this way because they were having a bit of fun with the storyboards (which don’t work anymore from the link in the menu, it’s not just you. You can find them here) and they would draw the characters in exaggerated ways. Since it turned out really funny looking, they decided to animate the whole cartoon this way. And I love it.
  •  I believe this is the first appearance of Coach Z outside of Where My Hat is At, and he has a fairly decent performance here, but it will improve over time.
  •  This is the first time Marzipan shows up in a speaking role. In the old version of the cartoon, she has no lines at all, because Missy Palmer hadn’t been “discovered” yet. That and a huge added scene at the mountain are the main differences between the two versions.
  •  I told you that Strong Sad would get better after his 10-second part in A Jumping Jack Contest, and hopefully this toon proves that. This was his first major role in a cartoon, and I think it works fairly well. As with all other characters, he will get a bit more characterization over time, but I have no complaints here.
  •  The commentary on this cartoon is freaking amazing. I probably know the entire thing by heart, and there’s still parts of it that make me laugh. I think the highlights of it are the parts where they make fun of the animation. “Little known fact – Homestar gained a hundred pounds and shrank two feet for this role.” And let’s not forget that Homestar has no legs in the mountain scene because he’s a sophisticated puppet operated by Strong Sad. And the reason he was replaced was because he has no legs. Genius.
  •  The deleted scenes are pretty great too. The first one is great if only for Homestar’s little outburst, the second one is just plain disturbing, and the third one is … meh. I believe this was the first time I ever saw Strong Mad, so I was quite confused.

For such an early cartoon, I have to give this one some credit. The original version isn’t exactly amazing, but it was still funnier than any of their previous work by a fair margin. And the enhanced version with the scenes on the mountain is quite good even by current standards. Then of course there’s the commentary, which I’ve already praised, but seriously, more people need to be aware of that. I think it’s so easily overlooked because the older cartoons have a bad reputation. And yes, I’m going to ignore the theatrical trailer, because this sentence right here acknowledging its existence is pretty much all it deserves. For what it is, it’s fine, but nothing to write home about.


Yeah, I'm not going to put pictures for all of these.
And now, for no particular reason, I shall talk about the original set of Main Page menus. “Original” being defined as the ones that existed when I first discovered the site. Technically, nothing past the 6th one was on the site when it first started, but too bad. Since I doubt I’ll have more than a few sentences to say about most of these, I think going to list format is a reasonable idea. But first, some statements that apply to most or all of these.

Ok, so you know how different things happen when you mouse over the various buttons? Sometimes the effect will stay for as long as you keep the mouse there. And if you click the button and drag away from it, then let go, the effect will remain even when you mess with the other buttons. On some pages, this can create some interesting effects.


Also, just because I guess I should mention it now and I’m not sure when else I’d bring this up, yes, we’ll be looking at the various other pages at some point, including the Museum and older versions of these pages. Some, like Downloads and Email, are going to be incredibly boring, so you have those to look forward to, but alas, I have things to say about them, so you’ll have to bear with me. I don’t have any particular time planned out for doing these, but probably not for a while. Anyway, on with the main page reviews.


Behold the first appearance of Nebulon. This and some of the other early pages did very little to reassure me that this wasn’t a crappy kids’ website when I first discovered it. It’s like, “oh hey, the main character’s in space, because kids like outer space stuff”. Oh well, it’s not bad. 

What is it with the Swiss / lederhosen / those big horn things that always gets people to make “Ricola” jokes? I dunno, but this is one of the more irrelevant main pages.


I believe this was the first one I ever saw, and much like the space one, it’s the typical “main character in a funky environment” sort of thing. Except it features a skewered whale and a plane that says “Wear a Bikini!” for some unexplainable reason. I think that alone convinced me that this wasn’t entirely a kids’ website, but still, what the crap?
The only thing I can really say about this one is that the music for “Characters” used to be different, because the current song was taken from a SBEmail released years later. According to the wiki, it was “Renegade Master” by Fatboy Slim, and the original sound file used still exists on the website. 

Neverending So~oda! Also, I refuse to believe that the voice in the “Email” effect is saying “Quarter-cheese-plate-scattered-smothered-covered”. It sounds like complete gibberish to me. But then again, I don’t think Waffle House exists in Illinois. 

The “Downloads” noise is the same exact one used in the Gex games, I think. Strong Bad’s little bit is the highlight of this one, obviously, and that’s saying something.


This one was first created alongside the original Halloween toon (we’ll get to that one soon enough), and is the one that you are always directed towards after viewing certain things, including the old Halloween intro that I doubt I’d ever mention otherwise. Not too much else to say here, other than Strong Bad yelling “holy crap!” on two menus in a row.
Aw, Strong Bad didn’t use his catch phrase this time. Oh well, his appearance was once again the only thing really worth noting. Quite similar to the Heaven page, I must say.
 

This one’s noteworthy if only because it still uses the old Homestar model, as opposed to the newer one with the stiffer and more prominent underbite. He also has no propeller for some reason.


Oh right, I haven’t made you watch Kick the Can yet. Let this be a taste of things to come, then. Personally, I think the 1930s set of Homestar cartoons are pretty funny. I think there’s a large number of people who disagree with me. But yeah, this isn’t just a one-time menu gimmick.

Strong Bad, I can tell you’re trying here, and you managed to get your favorite word in again, but Coach Z having more than 2 problems overshadows that. As you’ll come to learn, he does indeed have a few problems.

Yawn. I guess this one wasn’t meant to be particularly funny, but most of the others have something to at least smile at. It's pretty, I guess. And the Strong Bad shape is kinda cool, but only because there's nothing else to compare to.

Ok, this one makes up for the fireworks. Surprisingly, Yello Dello is the only cartoon I can think of off the top of my head that features several characters in the Atari style. It’ll show up again from time to time, but not for anything too major. The “Email” mouseover is an awesome callback. Remember how I said that this series is going to have a LOT of self-referential jokes? Consider this to be proof.

I remember that when I first showed this site to my friend’s sister, this was the page she got, and freaked out over it, thinking I was linking her to some sort of a dirty website. So other than “LEMKE” showing up and the pixelized graphics being directly ripped from the First Time Here? toon, I guess the recurring theme of “ bad first impression” is the thing worth mentioning.

Yep. Bad first impression. Like with #10, this is a glimpse of things to come, so there’s a reason for the terrible animation, but I can see why a newcomer would be turned off by this. That aside, I think this is one of the funnier homepages, it just requires you to understand what it’s parodying. The horrible shape-tweening Strong Bad is probably the highlight here, but the “Store” and three different “Email” mouseovers are pretty great too.


All the other Main Pages were added at some point after I had discovered the website, which I realize is an arbitrary and self-centered way to organize these, but nonetheless, I’m going to stick to it. The majority of them are references to other parts of the website that haven’t been seen yet, so they will be mentioned when relevant. Now, there’s one last thing I want to cover before ending this entry. Go back to the King of Town DVD, and play around with the menu there a little bit. Don’t worry, I’ll wait for you.
 


 

Did you find it yet? Whether you did or not, welcome to the concept of Easter Eggs. I’m sure that most people are aware of this term, since it’s used in many forms of media, but basically, an Easter Egg is anything hidden, whether it be in a game, movie, menu, or whatever. In the case of Flash cartoons, it usually means it’s something you wouldn’t think you could click, but you can. And in the King of Town DVD, you can click the moustache on the shield, then the brick behind it, and you will access something funky.
 

Stuff you don't care aboutTrivia time: this was originally posted on the website on April Fools 2003, and after that, was snuck into the hidden spot in the DVD. I’m not going to cover each aspect of this, because there’s no point really, but it’s an interesting little Easter Egg and worth taking a look at. The Revenge of the King game is accessible from nowhere else on the site, and it makes for a nice distraction for a few minutes. And the Email thing is kinda funny, though I must admit that new viewers who aren’t too familiar with Strong Bad Email won’t get the joke. And yes, much like the Yello Dello storyboards, the “Download” won’t work here. You’re not missing out, don’t worry.
 

Well, I believe that’s enough for today. Next time, we could look at some of the other old toons from 2000, but instead, I think it’s due time to get better-acquainted with the main cast. We’ve seen all of the original main characters in action, some more than others, so I think that it’s a good idea to check out the Character videos. I’ve got plenty to say about everybody, so it’ll be a nice long one.

4 comments:

  1. Another great post.The first homepage I got was the Dead as a Dornail one, which didn't exactly sell me, though I watched some toons and I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're doing this. I've been meaning to go back and watch all the Homestar Runner stuff, but I haven't had the motivation to do so. This is a great outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I started watching the newest toon was "The Homestar Runner Gets Something Stuck in His Craw". This, then watching "Search for the Yellow Dello" and then I'm guessing "A Jorb Well Done" at that point I thought every toon on the site had a different style.
    One of my favorite menus is one of the secret ones, though of course you haven't even gotten to him yet.

    ReplyDelete